About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
find me on Twitter - @Kbentham and Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/katie.bentham

Thursday 11 October 2012

Alt-J

Probably a little overdue, but better late than never! I got an email from my editor in July asking for an album review on Alt-J's album, as I hadn't heard on them, I stupidly and regrettably ignored it. What a mistake, only recently have I found myself listening to the glorious sound that it Alt-J. Being nominated for the Mercury awards 'Album of the Year', they obviously have big things coming their way.



The album is incredible. Personally they sound similar to Django Django (whom coincidentally are also nominated for the same award), but perhaps not so folky. They are a different sound, and a lot better than a lot of the shite the music industry is producing these days (not mentioning any names *cough* Ne-Yo, Conor Maynard, Taylor Swift, Leona Lewis...oh god, this list could go on and on). Radio 1 are also big fans, although Fern Cotton would bum her own arse if she could pull her head out of it, but don't let that stop you! Check them out in the Live Lounge playing Tessellate.


They all met whilst studying at Leeds University (one of whom knew my sister as he lived in the flat below in halls), however apparently this isn't a good enough connection for her to ask them for an interview on my behalf!

They also played at the Station Sessions Festival in St. Pancras train station in May (something else I also stupidly and regrettably ignored). This is my personal favourite, Breezeblocks. Also be sure to listen to Matilda, Fitzpleasure and Something Good.



Unfortunately all tickets for any gig this year and January have sold out, but there are still tickets for their tour in May. Be sure to book now, incase they win the Mercury Prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment