About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
find me on Twitter - @Kbentham and Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/katie.bentham

Sunday 27 October 2013

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest


  

One of the many huge perks of travelling was getting the chance to listen to all those albums on my ipod I hadn't had time to do yet, one of these is the hypnotic album Halcyon Digest, by Deerhunter.


Halcyon Digest

Now, Halcyon Digest is the only album which I've listened to by the band mind, but it only means Iv'e got a few more potentially amazing albums to discover. Every song on this album has a different sound, and there are some spectacular ones on there. My definite favourite has to be Desire Lines (as heard above)This song is incredible, and has now become one of my favourite songs ever (a big statement I know, and I'll probably tell you I have a new favourite song in the next blog, but don't tell me your not enjoying it). 

Another awesome track from this album is Sailing. A lot more chilled, but just as incredible. I also have to admit that this was one of my songs to help me fall asleep on 28 hour bus journeys, however does not mean its boring in the slightest, it just made me forget where I was. The lyrics in this album are a bit darker than the usual ambient punk (self-description by the band), but this perhaps has something to do with Bradford Cox's upbringing. After his parents divorced, he explains how he practically lived alone in a large suburban house. It is clear in the chirpy sounding lyrics in Memory Boy, not one of my favourite songs on the album...but explains a lot. 

"Try to recognise your son, in your eyes he's gone, gone, gone..."

One of these hypnotic songs on the album is He Would Have Laughed. It drags you in with the non changing rhythm on the drums, you could happily sit and listen for a while, however the song changes direction towards the end, and the second half is even better than the first.

Hopefully you enjoyed Desire Lines. Now go and listen to the rest of the album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment